05 November 2009

Steppin' for Sheridan

So, I'm a couple weeks behind but wanted to do a quick photo display of the amazing walk we did to raise money for the Down Syndrome Information Alliance and raise awareness of Ds in our community. This year, our walk was the Step Up for Down Syndrome walk (many places like Denver, Kansas City, Memphis have "switched" the title of their walk from Buddy Walk to Step Up). Anyway...

This was our first walk. Ever. We were really excited. I was hoping to get a big team (I have a big family) and raise $1,500. Also, I was really excited to spend a day celebrating Sheridan, his beautiful friends, and the entire Ds community.

So let's get to it...

Our team name was Genetically Enhanced. No big surprise.

I tried and tried and tried to come up with some clever team name that included "Sheridan" and used alliteration but came up with nada. Nothing.

Sharing with Sheridan.

Lame.

Sheridan the Sherpa.

Not really.

So, I told everybody that "Sheridan's Squad" was going to be called "Genetically Enhanced" and just went with it. I made t-shirts for all of our immediate family + all the children who walked with us. It was really cool to see everyone wearing shirts that looked like the blog (and immediate family members had the blog URL on the back of the shirt - I'm not ashamed I made them advertise!), and everyone else (for the most part) wore black shirts.

Sheridan and his Nonna playing with balloons before the walk.

Uncle Nathan came all the way from Los Angeles!

Proud Daddy

Playing footsies with Sarah before the walk

Brian and Connie brought the whole family... thank you so much!
(notice the littlest rockin' the Zepplin tee)

Kimo and the whole family were there
(and Sheridan didn't even cry at Kimo)

It was a PERFECT, beautiful fall day
(that turned quite warm - 80 degrees!)
I love how happy my mom looks here :)

So many people!

And look who Sheridan found during the walk...
Little Miss Thing herself - with a tutu and crown no less! :)
And he made Becca carry him the whole walk.
Gary pushed an empty stroller the whole time.

It was the first time we'd seen Gabby since her open-heart surgery. I was so excited to see her and her whole family. I missed them. Here's Gabby leading her court (her team name was Gabilicious, by the way - Sheree knows how to do something creative with the name!)
And, "Hi!" to Rachel and Ryan in the background :)

Sheridan loves his Becca.
I don't know what I would do without her. (She comes over to our house and watches him 3 afternoons a week so I can work part time from home, and as you can see he absolutely adores her)

Riding on Becca's shoulders...

Sweet Joaquin fell asleep during the walk...

And so did Sheridan...

But he woke up just in time to hang out with his buddies.
I'm telling you, this is the cutest gang of babies in SacTown!
Gracie, Joaquin, Joey, Gabby, & Sheridan

Sheridan wasn't too sure about the whole thing at first,
but couldn't resist Gabs' tutu!

And he kept an extra close eye on that Joey.
Joey was workin' out doing pushups the whole time.
He's a bit of a bruiser ;-) so Sheridan had to watch him at all times.
But notice that he never let go of Gabby's tutu!

There's that Joey. I'm watching you, man!

And John Michael joined the gang! I was so excited to see him, too.
I hadn't seen JM or Monica in a long while. Too long.
Our babies are so beautiful.

I think Sheridan had a hard time letting Gabby (and her tutu) go.

And look at John Michael WALKING! I was so proud of him, and so happy for Monica!

Joaquin's team "Walking for Joaquin" (another very clever team name!) had an amazing banner!

Team Gabilicious took the "Most Team Spirit" award!
(it was the crowns)

Sheridan enjoyed his lunch in the park with his 43 (!!!!!!) teammates
who helped him raise $1,585 (!!!!!!)

Oh. And I made black and white cupcakes for our team - yum!

One of the best parts?
Sheridan and I got to meet an expectant mom who is pregnant with a baby girl who has Ds.
It was an emotional day for her and her family, and I am in awe of her courage and spirit.
We love you, Amy, and can't wait to meet baby girl on the outside!

5 comments:

  1. Looks like everyone had a wonderful day with those super awesome kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, very cool. You California people really take this to a higher level than we do here in N.C. I thought our walk was well organized, but I don't remember seeing team shirts and stuff. This is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome day it was! I was totally jealous of your cool t's. You did a great job fundraising, too. Thanks for putting up the pic of JM and me. See you tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pics! Looks like a wonderful day!! Love the shirts. Gotta make me some bloggy shirts, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you had a wonderful walk!

    ReplyDelete